Standard patent (R) application
The grant of a standard patent (R) in the Hong Kong SAR is based on a patent granted by one of three patent offices, called ＂designated patent offices＂:
- The National Intellectual Property Administration (formerly ＂State Intellectual Property Office＂), People’s Republic of China
- The European Patent Office, in respect of a patent designating the United Kingdom.
- The United Kingdom Patent Office.
Submit the designated patent application to the Hong Kong SAR within six months, after the publication of in the designated patent office.
Stage 2 – Request for registration and grant:
After the designated patent is approved by the designated patent office, the applicant must submit the designated patent to the Hong Kong SAR within 6 months after the registration.
20 years from the date of application at the designated patent office.
Within 12 months from the first filing date
once a year after the expiry of the third year.
- A copy of specification containing a description, claims and abstract and a set of formal drawings that filed to the designated patent office.
- Invention title (Chinese and English)
- Abstract (Chinese and English)
- Filing information before the designated patent office
- The name and address of the inventor/applicant (Chinese or English)
- Information of the priority, if claims
- A full copy of grant notice and patent issued by the designated patent office; and
- Grant date, publication number and date of the designated patent by the designated patent office
Standard patent (R) – Examination of request for registration and grant